Friday, September 20, 2013

Another Season Coming to a Close

It is the advent of Fall and the signs of the seasonal shift are everywhere: leaves are changing colors, cooler temperatures, etc.  For the inaugural season of the Community Garden, the ending is bittersweet.  I, myself, did not put anywhere near as much time as my wife did in the garden.  For the past five months, it has been a daily pressure for her physically and mentally.  Everyday, if she was not in the garden weeding and picking, she was thinking about it.  She would think about where the food was going to go or if she would have to water the garden.  Yes, it was a daily pressure.

Now, as I said, we are nearing the end.  All that is left in the garden are string beans.  Everything else has been mowed over.

So, now we have a choice to make: do we plant the garden again next year?  We did learn some valuable lessons this season.  DeAnne would confirm she learned more about herself than she thought possible just from gardening.

I learned that the quote from the movie "Field of Dreams" does not cover everything.  The ghost of Shoeless Joe Jackson whispered from the Iowa corn field, "if you build it, he will come."  Well, we built this garden and volunteers did not show.

It may just be a question of location: maybe if the garden were planted elsewhere?  Then that led me to ask if I was planted elsewhere, would I be more fruitful?

Hard to say, but now that the gardening season is ending, we do have the time to think, pray, and discuss it.

No comments: