Monday, December 17, 2012

Goodbye, Dan and Sue!

In 2004, my family and I visited Lighthouse Christian Fellowship for the first time. At that time, we met Pastor Dan Caldwell and his wife, Sue. When we met them, my wife and I had went through a very hard time in our ministry and were feeling very discouraged. I was also having trouble keeping a job. All in all, it was very stressful.


We were showered with love and felt very welcome there even though we were just visiting.

Later that year, we announced to our families that we were moving to Arkansas to start a new life away from Indiana. In all the time in Arkansas, we were reminded of Lighthouse Christian Fellowship and Pastors Dan and Sue Caldwell.

Finally, after 3 years in Arkansas, we decided to move back to Indiana. Before securing a job or even a place of our own to stay in, we were at Lighthouse Christian Fellowship for church the next Sunday. And we have been there ever since.

Many times have I entered the office of Pastor Dan Caldwell; not once was I turned away. Not once was I told to make an appointment. Sadly, I have had pastors that did require an appointment from me. Dan always made time as soon as he possibly could to do what he could. Often, I just needed to vent and let off steam about something that was frustrating me. He always listened.

I remember well attending a leadership conference that Pastor Dan led in Boonville, Indiana. A lady there stopped me and asked, “Do you belong to the Caldwell’s?” I assumed she was asking if I attend Lighthouse Christian Fellowship so I responded that I did. She then said, “I knew it. You favor the Ashby’s.” “Ashby” is Sue’s maiden name. I told Dan and Sue about it. Sue just smiled and said, “We’ll claim you.” And that sums up Dan and Sue Caldwell: they are family. My family and I love them dearly and are very blessed to have them in our lives. We are excited for them as they embark on this new journey. God bless you, Dan and Sue.

No comments: